Animal Control

Scope of Services

Control and protection of animals is a shared responsibility among citizens, the town and state. 

The Animal Control Officer is responsible for enforcing municipal and State ordinances relating to the regulation and control of dogs and other domesticated animals and in some cases wildlife. Complaints regarding loose or stray domestic animals, animal neglect, or animal cruelty should be directed to the Animal Control Officer.

To report a lost pet, or to find out if your pet has been found, contact the Knox County Humane Society.

Dog and kennel licenses are issued by the Town Clerk. For information on licensing your dog, visit the Town Administration Page. Kennels need to be inspected by the Animal Control Officer before a license can be issued. 

Service Specific

Rabies - All mammals can carry rabies. If you suspect that an animal is rabid, immediately call 911.