Property Tax Abatement Procedures

If you think that your property has been over-valued for property tax purposes, there are steps you can take to have the valuation reviewed and request that your property value be reduced and, therefore, your taxes reduced (abated).

  1. File an Application for Abatement of Property Taxes with the Town of St. George before January 25, 2017. Click here to download the application or pick up a form at the Town office.
  2. If your request is denied by the town, you may file an appeal with the Knox County Commissioners within 60 days of the date you were notified that the town denied your request.
  3. If the county denies your appeal, you may file an appeal with the Superior Court within 30 days of the date the county denied your application.

You must provide data that will show the reviewers how you arrived at your conclusion that your property is over-valued. Two steps you can take are:

  1. Review the property card that the town maintains on your property to ensure that the data the town has on file is accurate.
  2. Review the town valuation book to compare your property valuation to similar properties.

In addition to valuation corrections and abatements, the Town may make property tax abatements for any person by reason of infirmity, or poverty in the judgment of the Town officers deem unable to pay the taxes due and for certain military veterans, widows and surviving children of qualified veterans. 

For information regarding tax relief programs administered by the State of Maine Income/Estate Tax Division, please visit the Maine Revenue Services web page